Dan took me to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin at the end of January as a lovely 31st birthday getaway!
Lake Geneva is typically known to be a summer town. Since it is only 1.5 hours away from Chicago, it’s an easy destination for renting a lake house with your buddies and enjoying water sports and cookouts. Since we are still kind of Chicago newbies (we moved here in October 2018) we’re still exploring surrounding areas and the perfect places to take a long weekend. Our first discovery was Kohler, which was absolutely incredible! So when Dan asked if I wanted to head on a Lake Geneva Weekend for my birthday I was all about it!
Lake Geneva Weekend: Where To Stay
- We Stayed at Baker House, a 1960’s golden-age mansion that now has 4 guest rooms. We splurged on the Champagne room, with lush fabric-covered walls and a cozy fireplace. The bathroom was really gorgeous too, with diamond-shaped mirrors lining the walls. Each room comes with a personal butler (pretty amazing, right?), and Andrew indulged us with a breakfast in bed of freshly baked croissants, fruit, yogurt, and coffee each morning. Guests are free to roam the house and try on all the fun hats that are spread throughout the hotel. In the evenings, a piano player comes by to play some tunes while while you sip a cocktail. One night she played “sentimental journey” which is a song my grandmother really loved, and I had never heard it outside her home until that moment. That really gave me chills! Just being in the house made me feel like I was being transported to the Golden Age myself!
- Another Option is the Grand Geneva, a huge hotel that used to be one of Hugh Hefner’s pads. Now, it is a large hotel and convention center that contains its own spa, restaurants, shops, and live music. And if you’re interested in architecture (like me), the building was designed by one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s apprentices.
Things To Do In Lake Geneva In The Winter
- The WELL Spa at Grand Geneva. I had a massage and was perfectly content! My massage therapist was extremely skilled and knowledgeable, and I left feeling very relaxed and happy. The relaxation rooms and locker rooms aren’t as nice as some other spas I’ve been to, but the laid-back vibe was fun! The attendant told me that they will soon be renovating the locker rooms, so that’s exciting!
- The Ice Castles. The Ice Castles are an epic attraction that tourists flock to each year. You have to buy a timed ticket – that’s how popular they are! It was about 5 degrees when we went and I wasn’t feeling my best, so we opted to skip out on the ice castles. But I really want to go back so I can see them.
- Shopping on Main Street. I love boutique shopping so much! Lake Geneva’s main street is no exception.
- Take a Drive. We are nerds and like driving around a town to look at the houses and get our bearings. It was especially fun to drive along the lake and gawk at the huge mansions.
Lake Geneva Weekend: Where To Eat
- Ristorante Brissago. An Italian restaurant inside the Grand Geneva hotel. Absolutely delish!
- Geneva Chophouse. We had a reservation, but ended up cancelling because I wasn’t feeling well. But if you like steak, then this restaurant came highly recommended.
- Sprecher’s Restaurant & Pub. Traditional pub grub, teeming with liveliness. I highly recommend the rootbeer float and loaded taters!
- Kilwin’s Ice Cream. Get the Moose Tracks!
- Baker House. Apparently Baker House has a lovely restaurant, but it is closed in the winter. Judging by the deliciousness of the breakfast, I definitely want to go back and try the restaurant.
Lake Geneva is the best quick weekend trip from Chicago! I can’t wait to go back for a summer trip!