It’s National Breastfeeding Awareness Month! I can’t believe I’ve been doing this for three weeks now! It goes by SO quickly. Since it is timely and certainly on my mind, I thought I would highlight ten of my breastfeeding essentials.
I’ve mostly been nursing Sidney, which requires a few products like covers, nipple creams, etc. In addition to breastfeeding, I’ve been trying to pump for 5 or so minutes after I feed her, so that I can have a bottle or two to use in a pinch! Dan can help out, and I can sneak out for a moment of freedom without feeling like Sidney will go hungry without me. Walmart is a great place to get all of these breastfeeding essentials!
My 10 breastfeeding Essentials!
1. Boppy Nursing Pillow. I didn’t think I would love this as much as I do! I helps hold the baby closer to your breast, saving your back and arms from strain. Dan really enjoys it for holding the baby comfortably, especially when he is tired. There are so many cute colors and prints, too.
2. Nursing Pads. For the occasional leak. They save you from embarrassment, and your clothes and bras from getting wet. I like that they are disposable because they won’t transfer bacteria. I keep a couple in my purse for emergencies!
3. Earth Mama Nipple Butter. It comes in handy when your nipples are sore from lots of feedings! I especially like this one because it is safe for the baby to ingest – meaning you don’t have to wipe it off when you want to feed. A plus is that it doesn’t leave behind greasy residue on your clothing. I like to put a little on my lips, too!
4. Lactation Supplements. I think every mom is a little insecure at first about their milk supply. I’m constantly worried – am I producing enough for my baby? I started taking the UpSpring lactation supplements when I began pumping 2 weeks after Sidney was born, and I’ll grab a lactation cookie if I’m starving after a night feeding. They do work!
5. Nursing Scarf & Carseat Cover. I admit that I use this scarf more as a carseat cover so Sidney doesn’t get sun/bugs/wind in her face. But it’s so nice that it doubles as a scarf for feedings in public! It is really soft and I love the gray stripe print. But it comes in lots of colors and prints to suit your style.
6. Vitamin D Drops. For some reason, breastmilk isn’t sufficient in vitamin D. Sidney’s pediatrician recommended one daily drop of this supplement to make up for it!
7. Haaka Silicone Pump. I’m really happy I shelled out the $12 for this little gadget! You can attach it to the opposite breast while feeding or pumping, and it catches a significant amount of milk in the process. Although I haven’t tried this yet, I read that you can use it in the shower when the hot water stimulates a letdown reflex.
8. Muslin Blankets. These all purpose blankets are so nice to have! They work as swaddles, blankets, spit up blankets, or for wiping your little one’s face/your boobs after a feeding session. I feel like I’m constantly using and washing these.
9. Nursing Bra. It’s really nice to have a soft nursing bra that is comfortable enough to sleep in. I wear mine around the house for easy feedings and when we go for our daily walks. I have 3 colors!
10. Spectra Pump. It took me SO long to decide which pump I wanted, and I finally decided to get the Spectra. I actually have the S1 (the S2 is pictured). The suction is good, the machine is quiet, and it is overall really easy to use. I highly recommend it!
These are the products that work best for me! Every mom is different, and every baby has unique needs. I’m pretty new at this, but I’m finding that these are the products that make my life so much easier! What are some of your breastfeeding essentials? Share in a comment below!
Shop the Post:
Thank you Walmart for Sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Glass of Glam!