I honestly prefer to do my own nails sometimes rather than get them done. I have a VAST nail polish collection, it is actually a little embarrassing. I can do my own nails in about 10 minutes, which saves me so much time and money. Since I get a lot of questions asking about how I do my own nails, I’m sharing my simple method.
PRODUCTS I USED:
- FILE. File your nails and shape them however you like. I won’t tell you how to do this. My favorite files are the tweezerman ones.
- BASE COAT. I like to use Orly Bonder base coat. I think it does a good job of making your polish stay on longer. Just one coat of this goes on first.
3. DOT. I place a dot of polish near my cuticle, then use the brush to push the polish towards my cuticle. This lets you control where the polish goes, rather than starting at the cuticle and getting polish all over your skin.I’m using a fun summery color by Essie called Peach Daiquiri.
4. SMOOTH. Smooth the dot forwards, then back out toward the tip of your nail. Try to use the least amount of swipes possible.
5. FILL IN THE SIDES. Use a swipe of polish to the right of the middle stripe, and a swipe of polish to the left of the middle stripe to completely polish the nail. I like to add a second coat of polish immediately after I finish my first coat.
6. OUT THE DOOR TOP COAT. This top coat is the star of the show. It is the only top coat that actually dries in 5 minutes. I absolutely swear by it. You know when you paint your nails before you go to sleep and you wake up with sheet grooves on your nails? Not with this! I could paint my nails every week in law school because I knew I could do it in 10 minutes max. Magic.
VOILA! Nails done perfectly in less than 10 minutes. I promise I didn’t touch up with any remover. I just sat and watched the Met Gala for 5 minutes while they dried (!!! such amazing fashion!) I actually took these photos while I was doing my own nails, too.
Please let me know in the comments if you have any manicure tips! I know it takes some practice to paint with your non-dominant hand, but you’ll get there!
Shop the Post:
ginger lemon lime mint raspberry infused water (check out this post for an explanation!)