We all know we should be drinking more water. Regardless of what theory you subscribe to (8 glasses a day, half your body weight in ounces daily, a gallon a day, more than yesterday…etc.) we all agree that it is good for you, and that we should be drinking more of it. I’ve come up with some ways to make water more appetizing and fun, rather than boring old H2O.
- Get yourself a good water bottle. My family and friends know that I am partial to the Camelbak Eddy water bottle. Actually I’m obsessed. The straw on the bottle makes you drink more water because it just takes less effort to reach over and take a sip out of a straw. When I was working I had one at home and one for the office (who needs to schlep?) At work I couldn’t be bothered to stop mid thought – raise a glass to my face, tilt my head backwards…you get it. I was thirsty but not to the point of distraction. Just trust me guys, this bottle gahhhh! Perfect for workouts, work, travel, at home…simply life changing. I have the 750 mL one and I drink 4-5 of them a day.
2. Add lemon. You ask for lemon at a restaurant, why not treat yourself at home? Get yourself a bag of lemons and keep them on the counter in a pretty bowl so you can see them. Next thing you know you’ll be squeezing lemon on everything.
3. Infuse it. My mother-in-law got me an awesome water infusing pitcher. It is fun to think of different combos that make water more interesting. My favorite infusions are cucumber+lemon and coconut chunks. I can’t wait to try watermelon+mint, strawberry+orange+kiwi, and maybe something with ginger. Let your imagination run wild.
4. Add some sparkle. The carbonation in sparkling water makes it feel fancy, like water in a costume. I’m currently loving La Croix because it has no artificial flavors. The peach-pear and coconut flavors are my favorite. When you’re looking for one you like, make sure you stay away from any artificial gunk.
5. Make it fancy. Break out your favorite wine glass and pour your sparkling, flavor infused, and lemon water in there. It will feel glamorous, like you are having a cocktail. I do it all the time. Sometimes after a long day it is therapeutic to have a wine glass in my hand, even when it is not quite wine-o-clock. And you may feel the urge to ‘cheers’ those around you. Drink a big glass of water then….go back for the wine. You drank your daily water requirement, and now you get a treat.
What are your water-drinking tips?