So you’re thinking of going to New York Fashion Week! But the huge dilemma is, what the heck do I wear!? In a sea of fashionable people, you want to make sure you have your outfit nailed. But at the same time, Fashion Week is absolutely crazy, so you want to be functional and practical too!? HALP!
Photography by Preethi Rajaguru
- Footwear. I personally think sneakers or flats are the way to go. Unless you are Nina Garcia with a town car to pick you up and drop you off wherever you please, you will be running around like a crazy person. If you insist on heels, throw some flats in a bigger tote bag.
- Push the Limit. Fashion week is the best time to bust out the crazy in your closet. Pile it on. Think shiny, fluffy, ripped, bright, oversized. Do something you’ve always wanted to try.
- What Bag Do I Bring? I recommend bringing a larger tote and a smaller bag. On days when you have more going on, you will be thankful to have a tote to carry your extras: tickets, extra shoes, water, sweater. You will also want a cute smaller bag, because sometimes shuffling around crowds of people is easier with a small cross body.
- Layers. In February, be prepared to be hot inside and cool outside. In September, prepare for sticky outside situations but sub zero interiors.
- Bring Lower Maintenance Options. What I mean is, bring something that is easy to steam. Since we weren’t crazy enough to bring our steamer (which I am sure lots of people are) we had to resort to the shower trick and steam-with-the-iron tactic. Otherwise we would have looked like crumpled messes.
- Plan Ahead. If you want to order a special look, make sure you do so way ahead of time. Even though I ordered my metallic skirt and sneakers 1.5 weeks before I had to leave, they still arrived the morning I left. Save yourself the stress and start thinking about your outfits a month before.
- Research The Trends. This year it was all about florals, wide pants, lacy tops, metallic everything, white booties and shoes, statement bags, and crazy headpieces. Do some googling or flip through a magazine and see what stands out to you.
- Bring Some Backup Options. We all have those mornings when we just “aren’t feeling it.” You know – the pants feel weird or the color isn’t going, even though you tried everything on to make sure it worked. I brought a white blazer, a pair of black denim, and a white blouse (things that go with everything) as my “outfit savers.” Think of some tried and true pieces in your closet that you know you can incorporate if something goes awry.
- Be true to yourself and your style. If your mom wouldn’t recognize you in something, then chances are you shouldn’t wear it to Fashion Week. Let’s say you have girly style A masculine plaid suit would be baller, but it will probably make you feel weird. Don’t try too hard to be fashion-y or New York-y, whatever that means. Stick to your typical style, but add on a layer or accessory to make your personal style a bit larger than life.
My lovely co-host for this week’s link-up is Jodie from Jodie’s Touch of Style!
While Jodie and I have been following each other for about a year, she has recently become one of my good blogger friends. She lives in Colorado with her husband and kitties. I’m not sure if our mutual love of cats or our professional backgrounds brought us together, but nevertheless we are similar souls!
Jodie’s blog is so unique because she styles herself, her step-mother, and her mother to show us that style is truly ageless! The three fashionistas try out new trends while incorporating affordable pieces that any woman can feel good about. We have a really amazing collaboration coming up in October. I can’t wait for you guys to see what we have up our sleeves.
So go check out Jodie’s blog for some major fashion inspiration and feel-good vibes. And I’m sure you’ll want to see what her favorite look was from last week’s link-up!
My favorite look from last week was Rachael of Threads for Thomas!
Rachael has been killing the blazer game lately. She knows that a structured piece on top can instantly elevate any outfit! I love her polka dot blazer so much. Rachel co-hosts a link up on Fridays that is full of inspiring outfits.[inlinkz_linkup id=739257 mode=1]