It is time for a new skincare routine post. I truly believe that without a good foundation of healthy skin, no amount of make up will make you feel good. While it is true that the best skincare tips come from within (eating veggies, drinking water, exercising), I’m living proof that what you actually put on your skin matters SO much.
I have acne-prone, combination skin. Sometimes it is oily, other times it is dry, and it can be both at the same time. Especially during the winter months. While this winter skincare routine looks like a ton of products, I certainly didn’t start out using this many. Over the years I’ve tried different products and learned what ingredients my skin enjoys. And I’ve finally hit a sweet spot with my skincare routine. Lately, I’ve been receiving more compliments than ever on my skin, and it is all thanks to being dedicated to this particular morning and evening winter skincare routine!
I realize that I use a lot of products from the same few brands (PCA Skin and Image). But I promise that if you looked in my beauty cabinet, you’d probably see every brand known to man in there. Whenever a brand sends me a product to try, I give it a fair shot. But I go back to these brands because they work for me, and the results are clear as day.
The Best Winter Skincare Routine for Acne Prone Skin
Although it is a lot of products, I enjoy my winter skincare regimen. It is therapeutic, and I know I am doing something good for myself, just like exercising, eating a big salad, or taking your vitamins.
Winter Skincare: Morning Routine
- First I wash my face with this cleanser, which is ironically called oily problem. I don’t love the name, but it accurately describes why I use it.
- I mix together my favorite Vitamin C Serum, rejuvenating serum, and hydrating hyaluronic acid serum on my fingertips, and apply to my face. Hyaluronic acid plumps and hydrates, the rejuvenating serum is anti-aging, while vitamin C helps get rid of any dark spots from healing pimples or sun spots.
- If you watched Saved by the Bell, it is time for an eye cream. I really love this eye gel because it absorbs quickly.
- I moisturize with Pai skincare’s calming day lotion. It smells so pretty and refreshing, like chamomile tea.
- Sunscreen goes on my face every day. I alternate between this weightless one and this tinted spf for when I don’t want to wear any other face makeup.
Winter Skincare: Evening Routine
- If I’m wearing a lot of makeup then I double cleanse, starting with a cleansing oil. My two favorites are the DHC deep cleansing oil, and the Iluma brightening cleanser. They both gently melt off any makeup on my face, including eye makeup. Once I started oil cleansing, it made a huge difference the texture of my skin.
- I use the same cleanser as I do in the morning, except this time I use the Foreo cleansing tool to make sure I really get the gunk off from the day. Makeup, city smog, etc. It is great for travel, too.
- This Kopari rose + coconut toner is an extra step that I like to indulge in, just because it feels luxurious and I love the smell.
- I mix together a retinol and hyaluronic acid serum on my hands, and put it all over my face. If I have extra, I’ll put the rest on my neck or the back of my hands. Retinol is a super exfoliant, is anti aging, gives your skin a lovely texture, and helps control breakouts. If you’re not using a retinol right now, then you’re aging rapidly. I highly suggest adding one to your regimen!
- Eye cream – the same one from my morning routine. I seriously love this stuff.
- Winter skin means dryness, which means night cream. On days where I feel oily, I use this light moisturizer designed for breakout prone skin. When I need to pile on the moisture, I use a vitamin C hydrating evening mask. It isn’t really a mask, because it absorbs very quickly. And it smells like orangey heaven!
- Lash boost. I’ve been using this for awhile, and I love how long it makes my lashes! It isn’t really a skincare step, but I’m including it anyway because I consider it part of my routine. Read my whole lash boost review here.
Winter Skincare: The Best Masks + Treatments
There are three masks that I alternate depending on what my skin is doing.
- I recently started using the Beautycounter overnight resurfacing peel 3x a week, and it has added a distinct glow to my skin. When I use it, I skip the retinol, and apply 1-2 pumps of the mask all over my face, followed by one my favorite night creams. I sleep in it, and just wash it off in the morning. Since it is a thin consistency and goes on clear, it is more like applying a potent serum rather than a mask.
- This Image Ageless Mask is perfect for when I have breakouts or if I have a shoot the next day. I put it on and go read a my book for 30 minutes while it dries. Then I wet my hands and massage the mask into my face, and finally rinse off. It is exfoliating and brightens beautifully!
- The PCA Revitalizing Mask is really gentle and hydrating, and only takes 2-5 minutes, When I’m short on time, I typically use this one. It uses fruit enzymes to gently exfoliate and remove excess dirt and oil. This mask always makes me look and feel refreshed, and I absolutely love the cooling effect.
There you have it! Let me know if you have questions about a particular product or ingredient, or why I use it!
Shop My Winter Skincare Routine: